Sunday, November 4, 2012

Talentville is A Good Place to Get Your Screenplay Attention


There are scores of different ways to promote your script, some of them I've mentioned in previous blogposts. I talked about how I've had some success entering Martin Eden into competitions. This is a good way to find out how your work stands amongst the vast competition. Though this is not to say that just because your work doesn't win or place, in a competition, that some producer out there won't fall in love with your idea and put some money behind it. Though I still think it's a good idea to enter 3 or 4 competitions as the process is really still somewhat subjective. A good thing too, about screenplay competitions is that they categorize the submissions by genre: drama, romantic comedy, romance, horror... Television and series scripts have their own category. This way your work is really standing up in a category amongst work of the the same type.

I also mentioned script delivery services such as SellAscript or InkTip. Services like this are good for exposure as they help get your work in front of the eyes of industry producers, agents and managers. I have had some good results from these services as they allow you to create your own selling message. The industry professionals then shop around and can contact you if they like what they see. and I have had at least half a dozen interested producers ask for my script, Martin Eden. Keep in mind, this is an extremely slow moving business, so it could take several months before you hear anything back. I think it is smart to send a very brief email to these interested parties on occasion, just to let them know you are still there and to give them a little nudge. Often times they have every intention of reading your script, but in their busy lives, it can easily fall to the wayside. I usually wait a good 6 to 8 weeks before contacting a producer who has asked for my script. I feel any more frequency than this might have them start thinking that you are becoming a nuisance.

I'm hoping that this blog, Arkenstone could be another means to attract some attention to my work. I figure it couldn't hurt, and it's a good way to exercise my writing. Though I'm not a big social network type, I do have a Facebook and Linkedin account that are active. I just don't spend enough time with them to consider a viable avenue to promote my work. For others who really know how to get the most from these sites could probably do very well with going this route.

I've recently come upon a site, Talentville.com. Talentville is a site dedicated to showcase the work of scriptwriters. Talentville is a social community where you can upload your profile, script, logline and summary allowing others in the community to read and submit a review. I think it's a unique and interesting concept (at least it is to me).  The way Talentville works is that you can become part of their community as either a "Tourist", which is my current (and free) designation, at least until I find my way around a bit more. You can also become a "Citizen" of Tanlentville - there is a 6 month or 1 year option that requires a fee. But with that fee comes many benefits and privileges that are not available at the Tourist level. I will review those privileges and talk more about that in the next post. So far I'm enjoying the benefits that I'm realizing as a Tourist.

The means at which you can get your script noticed in the Talentville community is to request assignments. This means that you are given scripts to read and review within a given period of time (about a week). By submitting your review, along with others' reviews, you can accumulate points or "Dollars" that can then be cashed in for purchasing a review of your submitted work (or works). I have just read and posted reviews on 2 scripts this week, earning me enough Telentville dollars to purchase a review of Martin Eden.

Somebody in the Talentville community will be reading my script this week and offering their critique. The more favorable reviews that a writer gets, the more notice you will get from producers and other industry professionals, who are also part of this community. I'm excited yet nervous to get my first review of Martin Eden. I just hope whomever is assigned my screenplay is as thoughtful and kind as I felt that I was in the works that I was assigned. We are all in this to grow, to learn and hopefully to profit.

No comments:

Post a Comment