Sunday, March 17, 2013

Any Advice for an Aspiring Scriptwriter Looking for Representation?

When I created the Arkenstone blog, my intention was really to chronicle my journey as a scriptwriter.  Scriptwriter?  Not sure yet that I can say that with complete confidence yet. I can say with a good measure of confidence, however, that I have written a very good and rather faithful adaptation of Jack London's classic novel, Martin Eden.

I know, I know... who am I to pay myself such a big compliment on my own talent as a scriptwriter?  It doesn't really come off as seeming very humble.  Well first of all, I can say that my screenplay version of Martin Eden is well done because my opinions are not subjective, rather I am merely echoing the objective praise that the script has garnered over the past couple years from the competitions where I have entered it. Second of all, how many people connected with the film industry are considered to be humble?

As a matter of fact, my first award for Martin Eden was a second place place spot in a competition out of NYC, The Inkwell Opportunity. With that recognition, I was sure that I would receive some opportunities for representation from an agent or management company.  At least this was my hope. It was an amazing thing to watch week-after-week as results were being posted on the Inkwell Opportunity website. I couldn't believe it when I saw that Martin Eden had made it in the top seven! and then it made the cut to the top three!  That alone was enough thrill for me, especially when I Googled the names and accomplishments of some of the other competition that were in my company. Many were published authors or had multiple script credits and past awards. Since then my script has placed in 4 other major competitions, including Sundance Film Festival's Table Read my Screenplay's Top 100, Scriptapalooza's top 10 percent, Fresh Voices' as a finalist.

I have also had requests for Martin Eden from some very impressive Hollywood producers. The most recent request was last fall - I feel that there is still some hope there as I've maintained some contact with this producer and I get a sense that he is considering possible development. It's one of these delicate positions where I don't want to be in his face or make a pest of myself, yet I want to maintain just enough contact where I will not be completely forgotten. What a balancing act.

Still, I wonder if it might be better to focus on getting myself an agent, literary manager to represent my work?  Does anybody have advice for me?  I try not to think about this stuff too much, I keep writing and contributing to both Arkenstone and The Whine Press blogs, while keeping very busy at my day job as a logistics manager for a market research company in Chicago.  But I always have this fantasy that one day i will receive a message from somebody who will see potential in my work and take my life on a different course.  I believe it's very possible and it's really the hope that keeps me going...



No comments:

Post a Comment