Monday, March 3, 2014

Mccounaughy - A Real Class Act...



I thought that Matthew Mcconaughey's acceptance speech for Best Actor awarded at the Oscars last night for his role in Dallas Buyers Club was very appropriate. I love that he gave thanks to God at the beginning.  I thought it was also fitting to acknowledge that all of the gifts and talents that have allowed him to succeed in his work and family, he attributed to God, saying something like no other human influence could achieve such things in him.

 I thought that his speech, overall was eloquent, sincere and from the heart. I heard him on another award show - maybe it was a talk show, where he also impressed me with his sense of level-headed and articulate perspective on many points.

I used to think of Matt as a self-absorbed, narcissist type - an arrogant bad boy who might punch a photographer in the face or get caught up in some illicit Hollywood sex scandal. I put him in the same class as say a Woody Harrelson. Not that I follow the celebrity tabloids enough to know that Woody is a bad guy, but he does exude a certain air of cocky arrogance and eccentricity that would intimidate me enough, where if I ran into him in public, I would pretend that I didn't know him. I would not feel comfortable asking for Woody's autograph. Now that's how I'd always imagined Matthew to be. That is until I saw him interviewed and now after his beautiful acceptance speech at the Oscars, I hold a completely different opinion.

Now to me, Matthew is someone I'd love to have a beer with, somebody I'd like to discuss theological ideas, family, his thoughts on success. His hero, being his future self was rather interesting too. On one hand it did smack a bit of self-absorption and narcissism.  On the other hand, the way he explained it as being a completely unattainable goal - sort of an ever-dangling carrot, was quit grounded and real.

I thought Matthew's speech was by far the best of the night - and you don't say things like that, honoring God and holding such objective and existentialist observations, without being well grounded and sincere.  

I am now a big fan of Mr. Mcconaughey and to lift up God the way he did in a place like Hollywood, really gives me hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment