Monday, December 24, 2012

New Year for Writers...

Here it is Christmas Eve and I sit with a bit of a writer's block as I post to Arkenstone. Going into a new year is especially a good time for writers. I think because if we are busy and committed to our craft, we have something already that can be dedicated to resolve going into a new year.

I think for a writer, we are really never at a loss to make resolutions regarding our work, whether that is an already completed work needing revisions and a breath of new life, a new work that we're contemplating, an aggressive marketing plan to promote our material, new networking relationships to explore and nurture.  There can be any number of changes we can make to move forward and enhance our efforts.

As with any new year's resolution, I think we need to be realistic with our goals. I mean, for somebody who is grossly overweight, it is probably more realistic to make the goal to be more physically active in the new year and to maybe walk 4-5 times a week for 45 minutes, than to say, I'm going to lose 50lbs by spring. It should be the same for a writer. Let's not make our goals so ambitious that we set ourselves up for certain failure.

For me, personally, I can focus on my already existing screenplay, Martin Eden, which has already placed in several competitions and has been requested by a good handful of Hollywood Industry executives. Or I could resolve to begin another screenplay, maybe write a short story and get it into circulation with the contests and editors. We as writers have so much we can resolve to do. I think I will begin by taking another look at my existing screenplay and take the advice of some thoughtful critiques that I received  from reviewers on the site Talentville.com.  I think that will be a good start for me. And then perhaps I will either begin work on a new script. Perhaps I will adapt again, as this seems to be a strength for me. And there are thousands of stories in the public domain in which to draw ideas from and not worry about securing the copyrights. I also like the idea of trying my hand at a short story.

In either case, it is the sense of accomplishment and the ever-present hope of recognition and possible discovery that I think keeps me writing.  I've come to a realization that financial reward is not what drives me to write. If that were true, I would not spend the time maintaining two blogs. I have the Arkenstone and The Whine Press.

I'm not quite at that point where I feel that I can say, without complete reservation, that I, Jim Farina, am a writer.  However, I have been referred to as a writer in introduction to strangers: This is Jim Farina, he's a writer.  Really? Am I? When is it that you can say you are a writer?  Is it upon publication of a work (or several works)?  Must we be making a comfortable living at it? Is there a certain degree of public recognition that designates us as such?  Or is it simply enough to have a passion for the craft and an insatiable need to continue to write?

No comments:

Post a Comment