Sunday, February 17, 2013

New Horizons...

It's been too many weeks since Arkenstone has seen a posting. I have another blog too, The Whine Press, which has had a similar span of neglect. I have just returned from Haiti, where I volunteered for a  short-term mission trip. Much of the time during and following the holidays had me focused on preparation for this trip. This included planning meetings, gathering of supplies and raising funds to help offset the cost of related expenses.

The trip went well and much was accomplished for the people in the villages near La Cayes, on the southern peninsula.  I returned a bit tired, but am now ready to jump back into the routine of work and writing. I've entered my screenplay, Martin Eden, into another competition.  It's been more than a year since entering this script in a contest and I took some time over the holidays to also revise and tighten up some of the dialog.  I also took the advice of some talented members of  the Talentville.com online community to refine my script and trim some of the fat. I am quite pleased with the most current version of the screenplay and I hope that the contest judges will be equally pleased with the outcome. I understand this particular competition attracts a good deal of industry professionals. But don't they all?

I think I will continue to blog about the status and efforts that I'm employing in order to get my script some attention. In the meantime, I need to also look for a new focus.  I need a project that will both keep me writing and help to promote my work. I'm thinking of something in the way of a short story or article that I can add to my repertoire. I think that if I focus on a short piece and get it to a point where I can seek publication, this would keep me engaged and challenged while I have my other irons in the fire. It's good for a writer to have several projects going. As you get to a point where you feel the need to step back for a time from one initiative, there is always a new project to dedicate some energy.

My next project has come to me by a most natural, or perhaps even supernatural means. I will write a story, article about my experiences in Haiti during the firs week in February. I also spent a week there a year ago. This will also be a good exercise in the process of short prose.  This project will benefit me, personally, but my hope is to somehow raise awareness for the people In Haiti, to attract more attention from our supporters and to help with the sponsorship of school aged children.

This means, possibly a new blog, some strategic marketing initiatives and a whole new audience for my work. Arkenstone is here to stay, The Whine Press is alive and well!  Now on to a new horizon... a small insignificant place in the Caribbean. 

No comments:

Post a Comment