Saturday, February 23, 2013

"And the Oscar Goes to Jim Farina for Martin Eden..."

Here it is, the night before the biggest show in Hollywood, the Academy Awards.  I am predicting the movie Argo as this year's winner to receive the coveted Oscar for Best Picture. I believe every writer who has a completed script, whether it is in the marketing phase, making the contest circuits, is in the hands of some agent, manager or producer, has the same dream.  I know that I am not the only scriptwriter to have fantasies about one day sitting at the Academy awards.  My fantasy goes beyond just being an audience participant.

I believe every scriptwriter, with a halfway decent script and the hope of one day having their script optioned or sold has the same fantasy:  Your movie has finally been made after several re-writes and revisions. The production team has been put together - executive producers, directors, actors, musicians, wardrobe people, film crew, set designers and the countless other technical geniuses, gaffers, sound experts that need to come together to bring a script to life on the screen.  I'm always inclined to think "The Big Screen", but that is always part of the fantasy too.  I, and I'm sure every other script writer would be equally thrilled to see their work find a place on the small screen.  Though by today's television standards, those screens are not so small anymore.

The fantasy continues with the film quickly gaining popularity, becoming a hit, and possibly even gaining recognition in other countries overseas. Next, enough money rolls in, affording you that dream of quitting your day job and dedicate your time to write even more blockbusters. The fantasy continues... Holly wood is seeking you out to collaborate on some projects, affording you even more exposure.  All the while you are telling your friends and family that you will remain grounded and down-to-earth - not letting all this instant success change who you are at your core. At some level you know this is a lie.

The fantasy continues... your film is nominated for the Oscar awards. You are invited to the great event, sipping champagne, looking cool in your tux, or evening gown and tasteful jewelry selection, rubbing shoulders with all of the Hollywood elite.  It doesn't matter what category your work is nominated, best picture, best original or adapted screenplay works best for my fantasy.  I have my speech prepared in any event.  The moment finally arrives while sitting in breathless anticipation, the envelope is being torn open after my face has shared the monitor with all the others in my category.  I hear those words: "And the winner is...
Jim Farina for Martin Eden!  Or is it only me that has these type of fantasies?

No comments:

Post a Comment